Friday, August 31, 2007

So I remembered today that I had a blog. Apparently it's been over a year since I remembered I had a blog. I think I may be in the later stages of Alzheimer's. The stage that basically kills you.

Anyway, the reason I remembered is that I had something extremely important to make public. I I wish I had my own site to post it on but unfortunately I am way too lazy to do such a thing. Today at work our VPN (virtual private network) connection was down. I asked a part-time co-worker Will if he could fix the issue. He needed to remote desktop onto my laptop so he could see our network and use my Cisco SDM client to fix the connection. Halfway through the task, Will wanted to tell me something. We were using GoToMeeting for the desktop connection which takes over your entire desktop, leaving Skype, IM, or any other chat program in the background. He realized it would be silly to use the built in chat feature in GoToMeeting so instead opened up Notepad on my machine. He typed in what he wanted to tell me, and then I replied back using Notepad. After a second, I realized that we may be the first people to use Notepad as an instant message application. I then thought that at some point in the history of remote connections, someone has done the same. Kinda ruins the feeling. Still funny though.

After Will fixed up the VPN, he wanted to test it out. He then opened up a command line window to find out if the 10.0.0.21 addy resolved correctly to our remote servers. It did, and at the next prompt, he typed 'booyah' to prove to me it worked. I responded with 'mad skilz, son' to only realize that we were definitely the first people to use the Windows command line prompt to chat. History in the making, folks. I plan to have my keyboard and a screenshot in the computer section of the Smithsonian one day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home